Thursday, April 5, 2007

The safety dance

Here's a list of things I'm going to need to fix to get my Ontario Safety Standards Certificate and get registered for road use:
  • the smoking - obviously it won't pass emissions like that
  • horn - it's intermittent (electrically OK but the diaphragm seems to be rusted up) - and a couple of bulbs
  • some sharp tears in the bodywork that I probably need to hammer down
  • heater/blower controls seized up
Depending on interpretation I may need to fit a reversing light - the military vehicles were spec'd without the reverse switch (I guess they never retreat!) although the gearbox has the necessary hole. The Ontario Highway Traffic Act refers to 'prescribed lamps' that need to be in working order but doesn't define them. I've spoken to a few folks who say the rule is just that any light that's originally fitted needs to work.

I also need to figure something out for the spare wheel - I have half the fixings I need to mount it on the bonnet as God intended, and half the fixings I'd need to mount it Chelsea-style on the rear door.

No comments: